Day 4 of our trip to NYC and it was our day to go visit the Statue of Liberty. I think all of us were really excited about this because she is such a recognized symbol EVERYWHERE, that it was going to be neat to actually see her in person. We were on our own again, so you know what that means...there was adventure involved!!! We took the tram from the station below Cathy & Walt's house to the bus station at Freedom Park where we hoped to hop a bus and take us right to the liberty ferry. Well, once we got there, we discovered the bus only runs on Fridays in the summer and it would be a 20-30 minute walk. Ok...not bad...but if you can't tell from the pictures, it was FREEEEEEZZZZZING!!! It was our coldest day here, despite the sunny skies...it was 25 degrees and we were doing everything we could to stay warm & get where we needed to be. After our late night adventure across New Jersey just a few hours earlier, this Friday the 13th was quite a day!
Here we are...on our "TRAIL OF TEARS" or so Wes named it...you do what you can to find the humor in it all!
Our first up close sight of "Lady Liberty"...we knew we were on the right track!
Gettin' closer...
We made it to the ferry boat...so happy to sit!
We arrived to the island...and were STARVING!! Not much room inside to eat, so we sat outside, in the freezing cold, but look at our company above us!! Can't get a much better lunch guest than that!
Back view...
The best close up view you can get...hard to get anyone in the picture w/her this close...The island was soooo crowded, such a special place for so many!
Leaving Ellis Island...
We just couldn't get enough of her...the kids were in awe! Sam continues to say to this day that Statue of Liberty was his favorite part of the whole trip...pretty neat for a 3 1/2 year old!
Headin' back to the city...
Kindness of strangers...
GORGEOUS!!!
My picture could be used as a postcard...
Coming up...Day 5-our last day! Wes and I hit the city on our own again(uh-oh) to visit Ground Zero, Soho, and just mess around the city before meeting the kids at Rockefeller for some ice skating, the 4 story American Girl store and the 4 story Toys R Us...you can guess that that was an exhausting day!!! Sensory overload!!! See you soon...






8 comments:
Suz-- these pics are fanastic! I didn't hear about that walk. Ha ha- what an adventure!
What great pictures! Seeing them brings back so many memories of my time there...I love NY...it's such a dear city and the people are absolutely cool!! I've seen that city sky-line so many times...I miss it! I'm so glad you had a great time! You guys looked as if you had a great time together!!
I've been waiting for more NYC updates...keep 'em coming!
XO.
I think Lady Liberty would be my favorite too. So so neat.
Too cold for me to handle though. I can't imagine the cold with the wind on the ferry...yikes!!
I cannot wait for your next post! American Girl store, Toys R Us and ice skating...doesn't get any better than that!
that is too cool... being so close to her! she is beautiful!
i have to ask... do people stop you all the time to tell you how CUTE YOUR KIDS ARE? seriously!
great pictures AGAIN. love taking this trip with you!
We made a similar (very cold!) walk the day we went to see the Statue of Liberty. However, we ended up not taking the ferry over. I can't remember why now. But it was really neat to see, even from far away. Your photos are amazing, and yes, that one could definitely be a postcard!
Can't wait to see your Ground Zero photos. Such a moving place. It's been 3 years since we were there. I'm anxious to see the changes!
Thought about you and Lindsey last night at the river parade. Does she still participate in fiesta stuff? Hope you guys are having a great week- I am guessing you were at oyster bake all weekend?
Post a Comment