My dislike or disinterest for reading in my adolescence that I mentioned in my first post, I learned quickly in my college years, made it a bit more difficult in college to build on the knowledge I was already supposed to have acquired. Jeopardy was also a popular game show back then, and I hated watching it with Wes...especially when the categories were related to literature. However, when I took my Children's Literature course as part of my education degree, that all changed! The class professor, Dr. Hines, was SO passionate about reading and getting children to love reading and showed us how important books should be in a child's life. We were given assignments to read all sorts of children's literature from picture books to small children's novels or chapter books. I remember falling in love with Number the Stars and The Giver, both by Lois Lowry and started purchasing books to build up the library for my future classroom. That love has now carried over to my children! I read to them when I was pregnant, and from the day they were born, they have been surrounded by books. Our whole nighttime routine revolves around "jammies, teeth, books", and I cringe when Wes will use "not getting books tonight" as a punishment for not having their rooms picked up or whatever the case may be, which they absolutely HATE!! Even Sam, our 2 year old, begs to have his books before bed! Unfortunately, it means our bedtime routine takes a good hour, especially now that Annie is at the age where she is reading to us and also wanting us to read to her various chapter books. Her favorites right now are the Magic Treehouse series, where the brother and sister are named Annie and Jack, and any involving horses or unicorns! Barnes & Noble and the book orders from the kid's teachers are so hard for me to shop, because I not only want to buy books that they are interested in, but ones that I think look good too!
Just one shelf in ONE of the kid's rooms...they're even arranged by season for me to pull out for the "appropriate" time of year!! pretty funny, i know!
After I began teaching, way back in 1996, Oprah had started her Book Club phenomenon and again, when I saw that passion and love for books and reading, and saw "how cool it was" to be a part of, I slowly found my way to enjoying grown-up books too! These are the books I have on my nightstand right now...some of them I've read, or started, or just got for Christmas and haven't had the time OR THE ENERGY to begin. Until...
I heard Oprah once again speak of her LATEST book, A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle and the online 10 week course she would be conducting every week. She raved about how this book will transform your thinking and really "awaken" you...and if you read that first entry of mine, you know that I was looking for some transforming to get me out of the gloom & doom I was feeling. I didn't even buy the book until the "course" had already started, but the more I heard about it, and found out I only had to read one chapter a week, I knew this was an opportunity not to pass up, so WHY NOT?!? It is only the second week, and the book is amazing! I highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for spiritual inspiration.
One of my favorite quotes that I have hanging on my board in the kitchen...
"Children are made readers on the laps of their parents." Emilie Buchwald
Happy Reading!!






2 comments:
I, too, was a non-reader until my children's lit course in college. Unfortunately, the love for children's books that I have has not transferred to "big people" books. Perhaps with your influence that will change. :)
I commented on your very first post...but what I forgot to say was how I love your honesty. I think that's what this blogging world affords us...the opportunity to vent, ponder, look at ourselves and others honestly, and join together as moms as we find our way through this amazing journey called life. Some of my posts can get a little deep, and then I feel bad after writing them, but, why should I? Only those who visit my blog are interested in my life...so it's not like I'm forcing my ideas and thoughts on anyone. I love that you sharing deeply about questions, concerns, and exploring the "whys?" that you are encountering. It my not be comforting now...but I am sure there are many more of us out here reading your stuff that can relate. I don't know about you, but that makes me feel good.
Great job. Can't wait to read more.
XO.
Post a Comment