Heartbreak for your child...it starts early over the littlest of things. Not receiving a special toy, being told they are not someone's friend, losing...all we can do is comfort them and tell them it will all be ok as we try to "redirect" their minds to something else. Annie had Bike Rodeo at school this week. She has been a great rider, without training wheels since the age of 4, after begging us to take them off for her. We had hesitated and "redirected" her for a few weeks, because WE THOUGHT she wasn't ready, she would fall, get discouraged and never want to try again! But on Mother's Day 3 years ago, we couldn't deter her any longer and took them off! She zoomed off on her bike as if she had been riding it for years! All we could do was laugh and be proud! Last year in Kindergarten, she was one of a handful who had her training wheels off, and to our delight won 2nd place in the Bike Rodeo! She was very excited!
Fast forward to 1st grade and Annie being eager to practice for this year's event. For the last couple weekends, she asked us to take her over to the school so she could practice, because she just knew she could win! She was determined and in her practices did very well! But even with that confidence building in her, we did our best to try and keep her a bit grounded by saying how proud we were just for the fact that she was participating and caring so much to put in the practice. She listened to us, but I think still thought she won last year, she'll win again this year! Oh, the mind of a 7 year old!! Bike Rodeo morning, we walked her bike over and saw it was going to be a much bigger pool of kids trying their best to win just like she was! She did wonderful, but so did several of the other girls I watched compete, many who are her friends, so I knew it would be close! The PE teachers said the results would be announced that afternoon.
The moment I saw her face at pickup time, I knew she hadn't "officially" won! She didn't tell me at first, but she didn't run up with her usual excitement to see us. As we walked home, I asked her what was wrong, and she told me she didn't win. My heart broke for her as I could tell she wanted to cry, but since we were surrounded by other kids, she was holding it all in. I just told her repeatedly how proud we were of her because she participated and gave it her absolute best! I also asked, would you have rather sat and watched as others had, or been out there riding, and when I heard her answer, "riding", I knew that she would be ok, and that this would just be a lesson to build upon!
In the time capsule we kept for her of all the mementos to save from the year she was born, we have a copy of the song "I HOPE YOU DANCE" by LeeAnn Womack.....it was my hope for her then, and it continues to be my hope for her now, that EVERY TIME she gets the choice to sit it out or dance...I Hope She Dances!!!
Check out my playlist to the right if you've never heard it, or would love to hear its message again!






2 comments:
Suz, you are such a good mommy...praising Annie for her effort to practice and her commitment to participate in the Bike Rodeo. I hope I have the right words to say to our children as we begin to enter this world of "competition."
And, what a good point...it is much better to ride than to sit and watch--even if you don't win.
Love the pictures!
Wow...such a perfect song that is so fitting for this situation. You ARE a great mommy for encouraging Annie and for reminding her it's better to have tried her best than to never have tried at all.
Inspirational all around.
Post a Comment