Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Grocery Store

I really like going to the grocery store.  I guess it's the food junkie in me that loves seeing the possibilities out there.  And no matter how long or how short my list is, it always seems to take me an hour to go through.  I have my routine.  We used to do the whole family shopping trips on Friday nights, Saturday middays, but as the kids got older & not as amused, fighting over who got to sit in the cart and who didn't want to sit in the cart, I discovered going alone FIRST THING on Sunday mornings.  The store is stocked, it is quiet, everyone is very friendly, you have plenty of baggers to help you, then I get home, unload, we eat breakfast, get dressed & make it to 11 am Mass.  And the weekly shopping trip is done!!  I do lose a bit of sleep, that I normally use to crave by sleeping in, but now having that time to myself is even more treasured!!   I slip out the door before anyone is awake, my list in hand, my Earth friendly bags under my arm, and I hit HEB.  I even get to park in my favorite spot..."Yes, I have a favorite parking spot at the grocery store!"  It's not by the door either.  It's the very last spot on the aisle near the side entrance, and right by the cart cage.  And when I go at 8 in the morning on a Sunday, there is NEVER anyone parked there.  I love it!  
I am a label reader & a nutrition fanatic, so I'm constantly looking at how much fiber & sugar is in a lot of the stuff I buy, especially when it comes to the snacks for the kid's lunches, so I guess that adds to my timing.   Lately, they are loving whole wheat tortillas that I make into wraps for their lunches, and turkey chili that I make into chili pies for their thermoses!  I am constantly trying to see what else I can do or add or change up to bump up the nutrition level in our food, and they never act like we're missing out!  I am a meal planner, but not one who can do it weeks or days in advance, usually just a couple days before I hit the store.  And for the most part, we seldom stray away from it, which is good when you're trying to stay within a budget both nutritionally & financially!  I use to love doing coupons, but we don't do the paper anymore, and so much of what we get is the store brand stuff anyway, that it doesn't do as much good.  I would love for us to have one of those supermarkets that did "double coupons"!!  Now that would be fun to do!!  Since we're pretty much an HEB town, with the only competition Walmart & Super Target, the competitive things that stores offer isn't done here!  What about in your neck of the woods??

So, I'm throwing it out there...what's your grocery store routine???  Family or alone?  Weekly or several times a week??  Are you in and out or do you take your time??  List in hand or wing it??  Do you plan out your meals??  I just love to see how other moms and families handle such an "important" task!!  
Happy shopping!!!

5 comments:

MamaMia said...

Hey Girlie, I'm getting ready to make my HEB run in about 10 minutes. Always have a list, always buy a week's worth of groceries, always have about five meals planned with one or two "easy"/frozen meals for those impossible nights. Sadly, our meals are pretty boring and standard...I get tired of the same old thing, but I don't like to cook--mostly because of the prep time and clean up time so I don't experiment much. I'm very jealous that you have a husband who likes to cook. ;) I think if Carroll were into it, I'd be more motivated.

Happy Sunday afternoon.

Honorary Indian said...

Ditto to MamaMia. Every single word.

Except I have a hubby who is a GOURMET cook.

Sadly, he doesn't have the time anymore.

Since we live in the boondocks.

Rachel www.jackandcoledesigns.com said...

Can you please teach me how to plan meals? I also need some quick and yummy recipies!!

Quirky Mess said...

You are a girl after my own heart! I love my time at the grocery store! I'm a label reader too, and a price checker as well. Drives my family crazy to stand there while I compare sodium levels on soups, so they're happy to let me go alone! I'm more of an evening shopper. Although, if I can get up and going early on a Saturday, that's a good time to go too. I don't know why I get blissed out being in a grocery store, but I do. And being in a college town, our HEB plays rockin' music (depending on which manager's on duty!).

Angie Seaman said...

Hey girl. I don't really have any grocery store routines other than get the heck in and get the heck out. HA! I absolutely detest having to go to the grocery. It makes me physically ill to have to go. UGH! And guess where I just came back from? Yeap. And guess who is ill now? YEAP! Ha ha!
Big hugs, Angie
www.angelicagracedesigns.com/blog/
www.angieseamanphotography.blogspot.com/
www.agdprayerblog.blogspot.com/