Wednesday, November 19, 2008

13.1 Miles...Been There Run That!

Adventure: the pursuit of life.
-Daniel Roy Wiarda


I keep a Mary Engelbreit little pull off the day type calendar that always start my mornings off with her beautiful illustrations and quotes.  That quote, was the one for this past weekend...the weekend of the race.  I thought it was perfect!!   This was truly going to be an adventure and one I had NEVER thought I would pursue until a few months ago.  But one that I'm so glad I did!  Adventures are like that, I think.  The journey to get to Sunday was met with a lot of time spent out running, when there were probably a million other things I should be doing, but also with a lot of encouragement from friends, but especially Wes and my family.  I could not have done it without his support of all kinds.  Having Mamamia and my friends from the 'hood doing it as well, certainly pushed me...I did not want to be a quitter, so even though I'd follow behind them when out for a run, it made me go farther and farther and not give up!  

So the weekend started off on quite a chilly note as we drove to the big Expo at the Alamodome to pick up our packets and peruse the various booths.  The wind was pretty fierce, so we prayed that Sunday would not be so gusty, because that would truly make the morning miserable.  

Expo craziness!!!  
3 hours later, we had our packets & then some with lots of fun purchases, and we were ready for a race!!  
(me, Dawn, Monique, Mamamia, Kim, and Cynthia)
The afternoon was spent relaxing, picking up the house, getting the vehicle loaded up with all Wes needed for the kids and eating lots and lots and LOTS of pasta!!  I slept horribly and woke up several times from nervousness and even beat my alarm clock up, which was set for 4:15 a.m.  I got dressed and layered up then tiptoed in the kitchen, so as not to wake ANYBODY else up and found these beautiful flowers and card waiting for me!  Very surprised!!  With my camera right there waiting for hubby to bring it to the race, I snapped a couple pictures in the dark.

I decided just to skim over the card quickly, so I wouldn't get too emotional!  I needed to be strong, tough and have my gameface on!!  
The morning hours went quickly leading up to my corral being released over the start line at officially 8:28 a.m.  The weather could not have been more perfect!  Definitely chilly, but wonderful for running!  I decided not to wear my iPod because I truly wanted to take it all in.  I wanted to hear the sounds of the runners around me, I wanted to hear the music from the bands along the route and the cheering squads and supporters along the way yelling and encouraging us to keep going!  It was so humbling to see homeless individuals and those bound in wheelchairs shouting for us, and moved me to keep going.  This race, was just an event entered as an extracurricular activity, it was not one where my livelihood depended on it, but with that being said it was an incredible, awesome experience!  I never felt so good!  With my name on the front, total strangers would yell my name and tell me I was doing great, hold out their hands to give high fives as we ran by, and just that small act, as well as the Cytomax and water stations every mile and a half of so, would keep me running!  I had two goals going into this, finishing and running the entire race.  At mile marker 12, when I saw my family and our neighbor friends, I knew I would make it!  I think the first thing I said to Wes, after yelling his name, was "I haven't stopped!"  I was so, so excited!!  

With a time of 2:53:19, I ran my first ever half-marathon, and could not have been more happy!
Wes, my children, my brother Brandon and Haley, who took the wonderful pictures and helped with the kiddos at such an early hour, and even my parents drove up for the morning to see me do this crazy accomplishment...this ADVENTURE in the pursuit of life!  I truly felt like a ROCK STAR!!!  
Dancing Queen and Mamamia---best buddies and now competitors!!!  She was amazing.  2:06:09 for her time!  Speed will be my goal next year!
Yay!!  We even hooked up with Honorary Indian for a little visit and photo op!  Also an amazing supermom!!  She now can add half-marathon runner to her triathlon resume!  Way to go!!
And here's my posse...the ORP running mamas with our matching shirts!
We've got Kim-Powered by ADHD...Me(Dancing Queen)-Rock'n Roll'n Supermom...Dawn-13.1 at 23 weeks YES, SHE IS 23 WEEKS PREGNANT and kickin' major booty!!  and Monique-40 year old virgin  It was fun to make the shirts and encourage each other!
We made it in to our driveway at 2:00 p.m.  Taking all that happened that morning in.  Here's a shot of the posters my babies made for me.  I still have them up in the house and they make me smile.  Annie even wrote me a note that night that said "Good job Mom!  I knew you could do it!"  Jack was acting like he was running in a race with a water bottle stuffed in his pj pant waistband, a headband around his head, a medal around his neck and a digital clock that he kept setting off to start.  I didn't know that it would have that big an impact on them... even if it was at least for a day, it makes me feel good!
Just when I thought Wes couldn't spoil me anymore...he made that huge pasta meal, combed the aisles at Target for heavy duty feminine products, because YES, I had that to deal with that morning too, had the flowers & card waiting for me, and contended with getting the kids dressed & downtown in crazy morning hours on a SUNDAY nonetheless, he had one more surprise up his sleeve...

This beautiful, embroidered SAN ANTONIO pillow!!  IT IS SUCH A PERFECT memento of the morning because it has so many of the attractions that we ran by in the race on the pillow.   I LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT and couldn't believe he thought of such a special gift!  Makes me ALMOST want to sign up to do the full marathon next year so I can see what he'd come up with for that!  Hmmmm...nah!!  Even for an awesome gift, I don't think I could do that!

Thank you babe for EVERYTHING EVERYTHING that you do & all the ways you support me!  I never did this race for ANY kind of present, but you sure now how to make a girl feel proud!
I love you to the moon & back!! 
  I bought my own mementos to mark this landmark occasion at the expo, a bumper sticker AND a t-shirt that read 13.1 Miles...Been There Run That!!  You can bet I will DEFINITELY be showing those off too!!  

11 comments:

Rachel www.jackandcoledesigns.com said...

Wow, that is so awesome! I'm so impressed.. makes me want to get motivated to get my butt to the gym!

Thanks for leaving a comment for me!!

Angie Seaman said...

Girl...you make me want to run and I'm no runner. Ha ha! This is awesome. Way to go sista'! What a memory to have and be able to share with your friends and family. You are fierce! Truly fierce. It's my favorite word lately and it definitely sums you up. Lots of hugs and high fives...
Blessings, Angie
www.angelicagracedesigns.com/blog/
www.angelicagracedesigns.com

Amy said...

SO stinkin cool!!! I love that you had all these wonderful ladies supporting you and getting you involved! You know, next year's Rock and Roll is in Seattle...only a hop skip and a jump from me! Just sayin...

Congrats!! You did great!!

carissa... brown eyed fox said...

i have chills... all over!
i am just soooo happy for you!
is it wierd to say... i am so proud of you!
i hope you are beaming with victory... deep down to your toes... you rocked it like a superstar!

Haley said...

great post :) love seein' the pics from the day before adn early mornin'

Honorary Indian said...

You ROCKed it, sister girlfriend!

XO!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh this post brought tears to my eyes!! So happy for you!! What a special day for you and your family. Kudos to you, girlfriend!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great photos!! Congrats to MamaMia and Honorary Indian also!!

~Jill :)

Haley said...

i also like that you can see a peek of your encouraging words on your arm in the running action shot! ha ha ha ha

Shanan Strange said...

I am SO proud of you. What a wonderful thing you did and something that your kids will always look up to you for. Loved the stories and the pictures. Sorry I've been A.W.O.L. for a week or so. I'll be back to bloggin this weekend, I promise. Missed you!

MamaMia said...

I had your post up all day trying to find a minute to comment. Finally, here I am!

Wow, great recap! I think this is one of my favorite posts of yours. All the pictures are great, but nothing beats your beaming face at mile 12...love it! You make me proud girlie...such an inspiration.

Just love all the girls' shirts...such a creative bunch.

I'm high fiving you one more time because you are awesome and you ROCK!!

Love ya!

Amy said...

Suzanne, Thanks for sharing your blog! I had to go straight to your half/marathon experience b/c I am training for it this November and needed a little motivation for the run I have coming up this evening! I am sitting here bawling my eyes out! LOL! THANK YOU for SHARING!!!! I love that you didn't wear your i-pod. You are so amazing.