Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Am I Really Doing This??

Wow!  It's Wednesday...4 days away from the marathon.  I'm really starting to get nervous.  I was feeling so good about my training and consistently the past couple weeks have done 6-7 miles each time out, and one time pushing to 10 miles, but that was completely healthy.  Now, I'm trying everything possible to get rid of a cold & hacking cough & feel pretty out of it.  Tylenol Cold, Robitussin, and NyQuil  are coursing through my system.  Up until a month ago, I was still planning to run and walk some, but since I've been doing more and more, I really thought I would be able to push through the whole 13.1.  That is still my goal & I'm hoping my body & immune system will cooperate.  Isn't it amazing what we expect our bodies to do on a daily basis?!?  We push ourselves to the limit constantly with all that we put on our plates, both literally AND figuratively.  The body is truly such a creation...and to be entrusted with taking care of it properly, so it can work the way it should is sometimes easier said than done!  When it is healthy we take it for granted, and when we're sick, even from the smallest of illnesses or injuries, it can rock our world and truly affect our days AND nights!  Miss 
Brown Eyed Fox is doing an extraordinary activity with her family...a grateful tree leading up to all that we should be recognizing on Thanksgiving.  I LOVE that idea!  What a wonderful way for all of us to treasure & thank God for even the smallest of things...so today I am grateful that I have been blessed with the body and mind that HE has given me and that I have even been able to train for this race.  However things shape up on race day, whether I am able to run the entire race or even have to stop and walk for a bit, the journey for me of trying something new, that I NEVER EVER EVER thought I would attempt in my life, has been a wonderful gift!  
I am also very grateful to my hubby, who has held down the fort when I've been out running around the neighborhood all these mornings, and for constantly sharing how proud he is of me.  It has meant a lot!  I'm so thankful to Mamamia, Honorary Indian, and the ORP running mamas for their encouragement & inspiration.  How great to surround yourself with such supportive friends!
Now, anyone have any home remedies or good over the counter drugs to share???

LET'S ROCK AND ROLL!!!

11 comments:

Maggie said...

oh suz...i know exactly how you are feeling with the being sick. the doctor gave me some samples of a good cough syrup....we can share!!!! suz, i think it is so cool you are running this marathon. way more than i could ever do. as wes is proud of you so i am i!!! what a rock n rollin' aunt i have....

carissa... brown eyed fox said...

oh no... darn cold... get out of her! you sure have things figured out though... you are SO right... you gals are DOING IT... "just do it"... you ARE! how COOL is THAT!

we can not live without Umcka... you can find it at natural food stores... comes with a dropper... we have found it REALLY shortens the duration. and of course load up on Emergen-C. that's just my silly two cents! :)

how neat it would be to be there to cheer you gals on... i will be thinking of you! no matter what... yall are gonna kick some butt! :) whooooop!

MamaMia said...

Oh, we're doing this!! And you've got it wrong...you're the inspiration. You're the one that has never done a race of any kind and you set your mind on a half marathon even...most people might shoot for a 5K to start with. :) And just think, you've run 10 miles! The half marathon training usually only has you go up to 10 because you can always do another 3 race day.

You will be surprised how far the excitement and atmosphere will carry you. It will be so much fun! I bet you'll be looking for another race to do after this one. :)

Bring it on home girlie! Rest and hydrate that cold away.

Hipmomofboyz said...

Darn cold....at least you have a few days to get well...See this is another reason why I don't do marathons! ha, ha
Run girl Run

Honorary Indian said...

I find it only mildly amusing that something can happen to our bodies just DAYS before race day that might discourage us or bring us down...

I injured my calf muscle 2 days ago on a SHORT run...Tuesday evening I was in tears because I could barely walk...

However, it's feeling better each day, and I'm certain I'll be out there...walking, running, skipping, WHATEVER...because I've come too far to back out now.

SO HAVE YOU! I will lift all of us up in prayer today at bible study...for healing, healthy bodies, and the most amazing (albeit CHILLY!!!) experience ever.

I had a terrible cold the morning of the Danskin triathlon this summer...but God miraculously put my illness on hold during the race.

He will take care of us!!!!

Let's do this thing!!!!!!

Jennifer Price said...

Suz- I am so proud of you and so inspired. I don't think that I could do it, but if you are motivated after this one, then I promise to run a half with you in 2009. I know that you will do great! Have fun!

HiHoOhio said...

Poor Jen, have you seen her, I am so worried about her spirit! Good luck to you!

carissa... brown eyed fox said...

how ARE you! girrrrl! it better have gone... that bug thing! :)

The Queen's Castle said...

You know, us Cypress gals, make it to SA every year or so for a girls getaway weekend. Wouldn't be great, if we were there to cheer ya'll on! One of these years!

Hope you feel better! I can't imagine.... Whether you run/walk or not; sounds like your heart is in the right place. Good luck and many blessings!

Amy said...

I hope you are feeling better! You are AWESOME for doing this and should feel so accomplished! I plan on running my half marathon in June...It will be my first. I got out and ran tonight and I felt great! Woohoo! I can't wait to hear how it turns out! Take pictures...lots of them! ;)

DD said...

You are going to be AWESOME!! I cant wait to see pictures and hear all about it! Push though!!