Friday, April 25, 2008

Catching My Breath


Can you hear that???  It's the sound of absolute silence in my household...minus the birds singing outside, lawnmower running next door, cars driving by.  It is the sound of me being home ALLLLLL by myself for 3 days!!  The kids were out of school today because of the Battle of Flowers parade and Fiesta and since we've only been down to big C-town once since Christmas, Wes has been anxious to go down there and just enjoy being out in the country.  The kids weren't about to miss out on that trip and with all the family we have there, there were more than enough hands & eyes available to help out with the kids.  I was more than welcome to go down of course, but I opted to stay home and just catch my breath!  It has been a crazy, busy, hectic last few weeks, topped by the additional stress of figuring out our situation with Wes' job and such and I just NEEDED to be here and take some time...alone!  I love, love, LOVE my children & my husband and all that I get to be and do for them as a mom at home, but for a couple days, I just want to have NO responsibilities other than BEing here, BEing me!  Don't get me wrong, I have spent the week frantically working on my "list" of things I want to accomplish and DO while everyone was gone and even worrying if I would have enough time to do them all.  And even today, I've had to really force myself to 
S-L-O-W DOWN and just enjoy the time, and not rush...there are no meals to be made, bedtimes to keep, I can choose to spend my precious time any way I want, and that is just what I need!  The next few weeks before school is out will be EXTREMELY busy...more teacher interviews, preschool Jubilee, teacher appreciation, my brother's college graduation, the kid's teacher placement letters, and on & on....sooooo, this is my time to sleep in, stay up late, eat junk food, catch up on all my "recorded" tv shows, tackle my to dos and take my time doing so, read, and of course BLOG, without needing to share the computer!  I am really excited that Mamamia and I are meeting for breakfast in the morning at one of our favorite little spots as kind of a kickoff to our crazy week.  We see each other on a daily basis, but still can't get enough of one another and will enjoy some quality girlfriend time and some yummy food too!  We'll need sustenance to get us through all our upcoming silent auction stuff, and this is THE best place to do it!

Well, I have to mention that I'm not COMPLETELY alone...Doc, our 9 year old Beagle, who is truly an outside dog, is keeping me company inside.  He really thinks he's livin' the high life and getting all that attention he use to get before we had kids.  He's such a sweetie and has been so cute the way he follows me whenever I go from room to room! 

It worked out so perfectly that our cleaning lady came yesterday, right before Wes and the kids left, so not only did I not have to spend my precious time picking up after they left, but the house is virtually SPOTLESS...something that usually does not last long after she leaves!

The Bunco Babes met last night and I actually won this too cute beach towel for having the most losses...13 out of 18 games!  Always fun to get together, gab, eat and come away with a prize!

My friend, Dawn, loaned me the book "The Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch, who has been a very popular guest on Oprah and was recently on with Diane Sawyer and I'm looking forward to reading and MAYbe even completing it this weekend!  He is really wonderful and such an inspiration.

And it's Friday...the Spurs play tonight in their Game 3 against the Phoenix Suns!  Even though Wes and I won't be watching together, I will definitely have the game on...we are huge fans and I love playoff season and the way it brings our city together.  We love getting out our flag and showing our team spirit!!  GO SPURS GO!!  
Wes and I have talked several times and everyone is having fun...the kids are being spoiled by their Ninny and aunts, they have big plans to go watch their cousins at one of their sporting events this evening, Wes is hangin' out in the great outdoors and helping out with all the cattle & such, so it's ALL GOOD!  I miss them like crazy, but know that we will be back under one roof shortly and just may even appreciate each other a bit more after we've all had this time to catch our breath!

6 comments:

Shanan Strange said...

Hi new blog buddy! I love, love, love your blog. I am so envious that you have the house to yourself for the whole weekend!! That has only happened a precious few times for me. It's amazing how QUIET it can be. Enjoy yourself, paint your toe nails, read a book and sleep late. As my kids are screaming for pancakes at 7:00 a.m. I will be thinking of you. Ha ha!

MamaMia said...

I think I've forgotten what quiet is. I'm envious of your quiet, CLEAN house...in a good way. :)

Hope you catch up not just on the to do list, but on taking care of yourself.

Have fun and can't wait for tomorrow morning!

Anonymous said...

Hi!! I'm here!! So glad you have a lot in our neighborhood!! You'll LOVE it here!! You haven't heard "real" quiet until you've spent the night THIS neighborhood...not only is it DARK but queit!! I'm the same way, when my kids are at "school" I don't turn on the tv or music..quiet is divine..Hope to meet you at the pool this summer!!!

Honorary Indian said...

OMG. Girl, I am JEALOUS! A whole weekend alone in your house?!?!?!?!

Holy cow. I'm coming to your place to sleep IN!

Oh, wait, Animesh is GONE and I'm watching the kids...guess that won't happen.

Mommasboyz and I will be hangin' at the 'hood pool all summer...you MUST come join us.

Hey, do you want to have sort of "joint" birthday party for Sam and Trevor? We're planning on having it at the pool...you invite your people...I'll invite my people...but we'll be able to enjoy it together!

It's so cool that Sam and Trevor share their special day! They need to become buddies!

GO SPURS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Okay... I'm loving your adorable blog!! Too cute! Your music is making me want to dance too! Don't make me "Go Carlton" on you gals again. :) Glad to have you as a new blog buddy. ~Jill

Hipmomofboyz said...

My mom is reading that book the lecture and I started to read some of it and it seems really good,,,,as soon as she is done(which is now) I will read it...
Go SPURS Go...