Another Fiesta has come and gone, which only means one thing...summer is right around the corner and I for one, could NOT be more happier!! We celebrated quite a bit this week with lots of food and fun, and now we're back to our normal routine. We do have lots of exciting things to look forward to in May, so that will definitely keep us hoppin'!
We kicked off Fiesta with a great day spent at Oyster Bake!! Wes and his law school buddies have had one of the fajita booths there now for several years, and as exhausting as it is for them, they ALWAYS end up having a good time! They meet up at 6 am, cook a WHOPPING 1000 lbs. of beef fajitas, and take down at 11pm. You can imagine that fajitas are usually not on our menu at home for several weeks afterwards. The kids and I have been coming up every year as well, because where they cook is up and away from all the crowds and we're able to spread out a blanket, listen to the music, and eat till our hearts content! It has become quite a family affair for us since Wes and the guys are ALSO responsible for recruiting workers to cut, wrap & sell the fajitas that they are cookin', so who do you turn to when you need help?? Your extended family of course! This year my parents drove up at 5 in the morning to get my dad here on time to meet with the guys, which also included my brother, our nephew Joey and Brandon's roommate Justin. Lindsey, my sister was also able to tear herself away from her Fiesta Board duties to recruit some of her fellow friends and work too! It was such a beautiful day and the kids had a ball!! They would be heartbroken if we were to ever stop going! Since Sam is older and not in such dire need of a scheduled nap as he has been in years past, we were able to stay about 7 hours and just hang out and visit with my mom and everyone. Lindsey also had the Miss Fiesta court stop by and take some pictures with us...you'll see Sam was not amused!! What a great time!











A lot of schools in San Antonio opt to have a Fiesta party instead of a Valentine's or Easter party, so we celebrated at Annie's school with nachos, frozen fruit bars & a pinata of course! Annie's teacher also had them make crowns as their craft during the party and invited Jack to join in...Sam, again, not interested in anything but the snacks! Great weather that day too! It was so funny to walk down the halls because you've never seen so many crockpots full of queso cheese under one roof!!





Having a former Miss Fiesta in the family DOES have it's priviliges...with Lindsey now serving as Miss Fiesta's events coordinator the last 2 years, she is able to schedule a special visit to the kid's schools from the Miss Fiesta court! Last year, they were able to come to both Annie and Jack's schools, but this year it just worked out to have them come to Annie's. K-2nd grades lined the sidewalks waiting for the special arrival, while the upper grades lined the halls as they walked to the cafeteria to speak a little bit about Fiesta. The teachers, staff and kids alike were very excited...only in San Antonio!!



Our Fiesta week would not be complete without a parade...of the Box Float variety of course! The kids have ALWAYS had such a great time planning and putting together their ideas for their box floats to parade with at school. This was Annie's first time in 4 years not to have one to do, and she was very disappointed, but more than willing to help with HER ideas for Jack's. It will come as no surprise to anyone who knows him, what he decided to pick as his theme...Monster Trucks!! Ever since he and Daddy went last year and again this year, to the Monster Jam in the Alamodome, it is ALL he talks about! He had a very specific vision for what he wanted to create as he and Wes worked on the arrangement. Such special memories!! And with it being HIS last year at the preschool, I wanted to be there both days as he paraded to watch him beam with pride at his special float! Can't believe he's going to be in Kindergarten!





Until next year...VIVA FIESTA!!






11 comments:
Fiesta is one of those times where there is a lot going on during the week, but well worth it to have all of those wonderful memories.
OK...I do believe Boerne ISD thinks it's not even CLOSE to San Antonio...there wasn't a single Fiesta celebration to be found at the elementary school or preschool.
Sigh.
But, your pictures gave me a tiny "fiesta fix." Thanks for sharing.
Hope you enjoyed your quiet weekend!!
Oh what fun!! Fiesta Fun!! I've got more fun for you... tag, you're it!! See my latest post for the fun rules. :) ~Jill
Alas...no fiesta in my neck of the woods. My best friend lives in San Antonio so I get to hear about all the things they do to celebrate. But cooking 1000 pounds of fajitas? Wow! I can see that you will be staying away from that for a while. I would think even the smell of it might push you over the edge :-)
Oh wow; another Texan. As I blog-surf, I come across people from ALL OVER. Its nice to be visiting & hearing about some (somewhat) local things... like the Fiesta.
We were just in San Antonio this past weekend & had a blast. We really tried to avoid the fiesta crowd and hung around our hotel (La Cantera).
Okay, a million dollar question: Have you ever been to a restaurant called SoLuna (on Broadway)?
Long story - but it is the best!
well... all i have to say is I HOPE I WAS MISSED :( This makes the 2nd year in a row that I missed the festivities. It is just not enough hearing all of the funny stories ... tear. NEXT YEAR.. its on!
WOW!! That a lot of STUFF going on..Thanks for sharing, I love all the colors and excitement that Fiesta brings...fun..Such GREAT pics
What a beautiful family! I can't help but think that I know you from somewhere.. maybe I've bumped into you at H.E.B. ?? Looks like you guys had a great FIESTA!!
There is only one thing you can say about that.....VIVA FIESTA!
I am sitting here with tears in my eyes- seriously, I want to come home! Lord, please move us out of this crazy place they call California and back to San Antonio where friends, family, and fiesta reign!!!
Miss you Suz- Logan looked at the pictures and liked Jack's monster trucks nd said "I wanna play with him". I showed him Sam's picture since they are the same age and he said "I like Ham too!" Yes, we need to see a speech therapist about our "s" sounds...
I forgot to tell you... I love your playlist and I love your page element title thingies. Too cute! :) ~Jill
Post a Comment