Well, I did it...not exactly sure what my motivation was or what is going to keep me going over these next 4 months, especially once school begins & craziness returns, but I did it anyway.
What did I do??
I just completed my online registration for this...the Rock 'n Roll Half-Marathon that is making its debut here in our beloved city of San Antonio November 16th. I've never, NEVER, EVER been in any kind of running competition IN MY LIFE, but I have a few girlfriends, WHO ARE RUNNERS BY THE WAY, doing it/training for it, so in my warped thinking, I thought I could give it a shot. I've been hearing about it for weeks now, and since I've had the summer mornings to get up & get out to run/walk a bit, it gave me the confidence to just go for it!!! So I did, and now I'm feeling a little panicky. All the "training schedules" I have read on where I need to be at this point in MY training, I am NO WHERE NEAR close to being, but I'm just going in with the mind set of doing whatever I can to cross that finish line either by running, walking, or a combination of both...just HOPEFULLY not crawling or carried over on a stretcher:)
I'm 36 years old, and I'm feeling more alive than ever and I'm ready to just lay it all on the line & do something a little crazy!!
Have you ever competed in a race or done something you wouldn't have DREAMED of doing at an earlier age??






7 comments:
Crazy? Absolutely! But...good for you! I used to want to run in a marathon. And then I had children. And read in a baby book that giving birth is akin to running a marathon in the energy expended. So...I figured I've done it. Twice :-)
I am so proud of you.. and a little jealous. Wish I could get my big ol' bootie moving. I have several friends training for the same race and they feel like they are behind too.. don't worry. I will be very impressed if you can keep up with Lisa Harthan!! She's amazing. I'll keep praying that your training goes well, my friend.
WHOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!
YIPPEEEEEE!!!
I'm so glad you're gonna ROCK AND ROLL WITH ME!
Don't worry about those training schedules. They exist only to create panic in those of us who have never done marathons. I never even paid attention to the schedules when I trained for the triathlon....
And, I'm SO GLAD that you're having another BOO HOO Mommy Brunch. Last year was so much fun...because Priya was so ready for kinder...but my middle baby boy?! I'm gonna be a wreck...so I cannot WAIT for that yummy brunch comfort food!
:-)
oh you're going to LOVE IT!!! I did two triathlons last year and loved it (this year I'm concentrating on losing weight which is actually quite hard to do while training for an event). You're going to do great. :)
This is going to be a blast!! We're in the same boat honey...I'm a sprinter--that means I can give 110% for a VERY short time. 13 miles is DISTANCE! The most I've ever run in a race is 6 miles. That was in a tri, BUT keep in mind that was when I was in the best shape of my life, working out 6 days a week, cross-training, and BEFORE kids!! So, don't worry, I feel your panic. But we'll be fine. We've got such a great support all around us. And besides, we're not trying to win this thing, just have fun and set a goal. I think it's time we shake it up a bit anyway!
Maybe we can get our friends together on weekends to do our long runs...Jen A., or Wendy H. or Darcie??
Fun, fun, fun!! ;)
Yes, you are crazy,,,,but it is a good crazy. I wish you luck and will cheer for you from my sofa....ha,ha
I am SOOO impressed! Ronnie has run in several half-marathons and I have often looked at some of the people crossing/crawling across the finish line and thought "if THEY can finish, then I should be able to do this". You and Monica will do great. I would like to do it- maybe when I move back to San Antonio (who knows when that will be) we can all do one together.
Post a Comment