Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Family Fun Fall Projects

What better way to spend a Sunday afternoon than by working on some cute, little Halloween foam kits, that were on sale at Michael's!  Or so Daddy thought!  He and the kids had spied these kits on a family shopping trip and convinced me they would have so much fun and could do them.  

Hmmm...let's see!  First, there was the fight over who was going to get to make theirs first.  We quickly saw this was NOT a project they could do completely on their own.  Then, we had to deal with all 3 of them tearing into their kits to check out all the cool stickers inside and as you can see...there were foam pieces EVERYWHERE!!!  Daddy started with reading the directions and discovered that the little tube of glue that was included, was really not that great at holding anything together.  "Mama, can you get out the glue gun??"
Annie was given directions to get all her stuff together after the cottage building was at least complete.
OOH!  This is fun!!  Can't you see the look of joy on Daddy's face??  He is REALLY glad that he let all 3 kiddos pick a kit out and they ALL want to put theirs together today!  
Now let's see...how many blisters from the hot glue gun did Daddy get?  Our glue gun is ancient and not the best working piece of machinery in the world, but it was getting the job done!
At last, the best part...the decorating!  It did turn out very cute and looks just like her!

Jack chose a haunted pirate ship!  See his tongue??  He uses it all the time when concentrating on a task.  Too cute!
And here's a shot of the spooky tree that Sam picked out and told us where to put things.  I swear I had more pictures of him & Jack working on theirs, but for some reason, they didn't load up on the post.  One thing I haven't figured out...how to move pictures around on blogger once you load them.  If I load them now, they just go on top.  Still learning...I'll try to get one on here of all 3 creations lined up on our mantle next time.


Now on to MY favorite kinda projects...the eating kind!  Annie had her Brownie meeting after school Monday, so the boys said they would help me make one of our Fall dessert favorites...Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake!!!  It is a Paula Deen recipe...need I say more!

Jack REALLY enjoys working with us in the kitchen and has gotten pretty independent at doing things.   I really just had to tell him what to do, measure some things out, and then he was on his own!  
He prides himself on being a really good egg cracker..."No shells mom, see?" is what he always tells me.  Sam pretty much just enjoys being the taste tester & licking the beaters.  Truly a boy after my own heart:) 
Ta-da!!  The finished product!  It's Wednesday morning, and just imagine looking at this picture, with only about 1/3 of it left!  Annie has requested it in her lunch box, and they've been having some after school as a little pre-homework snack, not to mention what Wes & I have been enjoying after the kids are in bed.  It does have pumpkin...you know beta-carotene???  Surely it counts as being a tad healthy...
You MUST try it!  It is SPOOK-tacular!

12 comments:

Shanan Strange said...

What an awesome day! I can only imagine my husband with a hot glue gun! My daugter and her friends made shirts for Homecoming and I burned the heck out of my knuckle. It still has a scab on it and it's been 2 weeks.

Ok, you've got my interest up..what is B_D_ers? I can't think of it and I'm always looking for a lunch spot... Bumdoodlers? If that's it...YES YES YES.. it's delicious. I've had a few too many of their pies.. and their sandwiches are to die for..

I still cannot believe I haven't run into you. I've got your kids faces burned in my mind, because I notice the kids first, before the adults. We're always running into one of my kids friends. I'm sure it will happen.. it's bound to.

The only reason I have so many followers is that Not Me Monday post. If you go to MckMama's website on Mondays, you can link your blog on hers and you'd be amazed how many comments you get. I've gotten to be big blog buddies with quite a few of them. She has about 500-600 comments on most of her posts. It's just amazing.

Well, gotta start the day! Have a good one and I'm keeping my eyes peeled for ya!!

HiHoOhio said...

Where did you find those kits, I need to get a couple to leave with my family for this weekend when I go home.
Yes my dad is in SA. Is retired military. Lives in Oakwell Farms area.
Thanks for kind words and possitve energy and prayers!

Jennifer Price said...

Suz- You have totally inspired me to make the pumpkin gooey butter cake! We were at Costco over the weekend and they had kits of Pumpkin Cobbler that I was going to make for dessert tonight with whipped cream, but the gooey cake sounds like it could be better... I think that the Halloween craft kits are adorable and Wes is such a great dad. I am afraid Ronnie would be on the sofa watching football once he realized that it would involve a glue gun! Your kids will have such wonderful memories when they look back on their childhood- you guys are doing a great job!

Haley said...

You guys are too cute! wish we could have stopped by for the festivities. how did you get wes to do that on a sunday? football? ha ha
I want that recipe!

Hipmomofboyz said...

That is too funny! I love the way daddy handled craft day. Did he get to use the glue gun or was that to crafty for him?

HiHoOhio said...

No church, just lives in SA. Oakwell is at Harry Wurzbach and 410.
Wish I liked Pumpkin, that recipe looks good!

The Queen's Castle said...

As another Texan, its hard to get into the fall spirit with the warm weather. It was a little chilly this morning. Thanks for your inspiration... I think I might need a yummy 'healthy' cake to get it all started!

Anonymous said...

Oh if I could jump into that pan of pumpkin gooey butter cake!! What a great family project... love those foam kits!! ~Jill :)

MamaMia said...

Very impressed with Daddy Craft Day...what fun!

I love boys/men who like to cook! We will definitely need to arrange one of my girls to marry Jack because unfortunately, my girls aren't getting any cooking/baking lessons in this house!! ;)

Mmm, Pumpkin Gooey Cake!!

carissa... brown eyed fox said...

hot glue gun to the rescue!
it'll do the trick every time! :)
this is terrible... i SAW those kits... and thought... I will be doing the WHOLE THING... passed them up... BAD mama! I think it is GREAT yall went for it... hot glue burns & all!
NOW... that pumpkin butter cake... you just spoke to my heart! I'm impressed there is ANY left! :)

Angie Seaman said...

Oh why...why did you have to show me that cake girlfriend? It looks so good and now I'm craving it. Oh and those crafts are stinkin' adorable. LOVE THOSE!
Hope you are enjoying your Monday!
Hugs, Angie Seaman
www.angelicagracedesigns.com/blog/
www.angelicagracedesigns.com

LINDZ said...

OH MY GOSH! PUMPKIN BUTTER GOOEY CAKE! Enough said.....