It happened! I don't know how, I don't know when, but it happened RIGHT BEFORE my very eyes...it happened so quickly, I blinked and poof, woke up to this day...having my two, oldest "babies" in school...2nd grade & Kindergarten! It's all just been such a blur...things I remember as if they were yesterday, but somehow those baby & preschool years flew & here we are!
Meet the Teacher Friday went very well...we dropped off their supplies, found their nametags on the floor & desk, saw familiar faces in the room, despite us not recognizing their names on the class list and proceeded through our weekend leading up to this day! My alarm went off early, 5:20 to be exact, but instead of my usual hitting of the snooze button, I somehow found myself wide awake & ready to get going. Annie was feeling the same way and was awake right there with me...I knew later in the day we'd be paying for it, but I wanted to make them a special breakfast & have plenty of time to take pictures. Daddy and Jack, the typical "men" they are, slept until they were shaken awake. Jack griped a bit, but then was a happy chatterbox, talking away with his sister...not even a fight to be had! They were feeling the excitement & nervousness and, I guess, were finding comfort in the fact they'd be going through it together for a change! I even thought to myself, "Wow, I'm feeling good, I don't feel at all like I'm going to cry...hmmmm, I wonder why that is?" I was proud of myself that I would be able to get through the morning holding it all together & showing my children how happy I was for them....THAT didn't last long!
Annie girl and her "Pretty in Pink" outfit ready to go!! She LOVES wearing dresses & had this one picked out to wear ever since it arrived in our mailbox from Lands End! Notice pink shoes, pink backpack, pink camo lunchbox, pink bandana...any guesses what her favorite color is since she was born???
Jack and his BIG smile that lights up a room! He could care less to actually have to PICK out his clothes...just choosing a backpack & a lunchbox were enough for him! Amazing how they can be soooo different!
Sam offering his support...having to WAKE him up is something I usually hate doing, but we all wanted to be there to walk the kids over on their first day...he's quite a ham himself! Poor thing asks me daily, "Is today MY school mom??" After all my replies of "not yet", he automatically started telling people, as they walked by us, "My school not yet!" He's anxious for next Tuesday to come!
Making our trek down the hall towards the gym...boy, was it crowded!! Lots of cameras & moms/dads everywhere you looked. I did so well UNTIL...
we hit the gym doors!!!!
Then out of NO WHERE, tears just began streaming down my face and I couldn't stop! Then the more I saw my other mom friends, and them coming over to comfort ME, they just kept coming...Sam didn't help when all he said till we actually started walking home was "Mom, are you crying? Why are you crying?" over and over and over...The teachers were coming over to comfort me, not my children but ME!!! So, I swallowed as hard as I could, kissed the kids on the head & Wes, Sam and I walked back home. It was so strange only walking back with ONE! Wes packed up, headed to work, and Sam realized HE now had the run of the place and could watch WHATEVER cartoon he wanted and I was glad that I had something to get ready for & focus on...my 3rd annual Back to School Brunch!!
I began this little tradition of mine, the year Annie started Kindergarten, after reading about the idea in a magazine...I knew then, I was going to be a wreck, and thought this would be a great diversion & way to visit with some of my other friends who may or may not be going through the same thing.
(my invitation wording)
The time has come to send our children back to school
For some of us, it's to kindergarten and we're shedding a tear or two
But misery loves company, so I thought on a hunch
We should all get together for a Back to School Brunch!
Over the last couple years, the brunch has expanded a bit, some friends have moved, and others have joined us...everyone brings a "brunchy" item to share and any other younger siblings who are now left HOME ALONE! It was a great time!!
Lots and lots of yummy, delicous food!! We were all STUFFED!!
22 mamas including a few younger siblings celebrated the first morning of school together! There's Mamamia on the left!!
What fun visiting...the last guests left a little after noon, and just like that the first day of school was almost over!
And how did Annie and Jack's first day go??
Well, about 1:00 I had an e-mail from Jack's teacher telling me he was doing great, but that he'd forgotten his towel for rest. I replied back, oh no, I know it was in there, it's blue, it says rock star, has his name on the tag, maybe he didn't check all the zippered pockets of his backpack. A few minutes later, she wrote "He found it!"
Typical, typical JACK!!
Then after school, she came up and again said he had a wonderful day, but was worried because he'd left his lunchbox in the classroom. WOW! What a year this is going to be! Big sister, Annie to the rescue ran back in with him to find it!
Welcome to my world...if it's not RIGHT in front of his eyes, it doesn't exist!! What an eye opener is this going to be for him!
Annie said her day was great until a little boy sitting close to her started throwing up...soooo, we talked about that for a good 5 minutes! (poor thing) Otherwise, she LOVES her teacher and I can tell has such a super relationship with her already! She has always been so independent and such a hard worker, that I know she will just BLOSSOM!
And Sam...
well, out of the mouths of babes...he and I are having some great conversations, now that he doesn't have to fight for my attention. This morning...our topic was blueberries! After clearing his breakfast plate, I asked him if he ate some because they would make him SUPER STRONG!! "Sam, you'll be able to fly to the moon!" To which he replied, "I can't fly to the moon, mama, I have to stay here with you!"
My only response..."YOU MELT MY HEART!"
On to orientation night tonight & tomorrow...and so it begins!






10 comments:
Loved the brunch as usual, but really glad it kept me occupied after dropping Elle off.
Funny, Elle forgot her lunch box too. She realized once we were in the car and headed out. She started crying so we turned around and unloaded again and retrieved it.
She had a blast and couldn't wait until today. She's already a little bummed that there is no school next Monday. :)
You made me tear up just reading about your first day of school. I so remember those days and am having a very hard time watching my kids grow and blossom before my eyes. At least you still have a baby at home. Sister, hang on to your hat when that sweetie starts Kindergarten. There is such a finality when your baby leaves the nest.
We had a similar morning thing at our school for Mom's that were having a hard time leaving. We named it "Tears and Cheers" but we affectionately referred to it as "Cheers and Beers." I had to get up in front of the new families and talk about this event and it was SO hard for me not to screw it up and invite the parents to "Cheers for Beers!"
You asked about the number of kids I have.. just 3. My daughter will be 15 next week (GULP), my son just turned 12 and the "baby" is 9. He is going to a private school this year and doesn't start until Tuesday. The little boy I referred to was our neighbor, who is 6 and goes to the same private school.
Well, now that I have written a novel, I'll leave some space for others. Let's shoot for coffee in September. I'm trying to think who else lives near that we can invite.
P.S. Glad you found Staples.
Love your blog! And I enjoyed reading about your brunch. I am hosting a Back to School Breafast at my house on Thursday. We don't have bus service so I figured it would be best to just have it at drop off time. However....word got out & now I have over 30 people coming...eeks!
first of all... 5:20... omg... you're GOOD! that hurts!
"i have to stay here with you" what a precious love he is! pinch his cheeks for me! :)
the pink... oh we so know that. my thought has always been... if we just keep buying pink... we'll have lots of mix n match pieces... after all pink GOES with pink! :)
she is... pretty in pink!
so fun to gather in your home with the gals... after all the
tears... gal pal support!
hope today brings more school success!
This was really really sweet. Awww..
i hope i see you guys this weekend since you are so busy! i miss you!!!!! cant wait to hear from the big man himself how school is
this is such a good idea!!!
i love it.
maybe i will remmeber to do it next year.
and i love that it grew so much. that's how you knoe it's great.
have a good day with only one at home!
i know i sure do. :)
Crazy-I heard all about a little girl getting sick on the bus in front of Brennen. Must have been in the air this year or just the back to school jitters, eh? Poor kids! Hey...I need to be at a brunch like this. Looks like a blast! And who could go wrong with all that food? UMmmmmmm...yummy!
Hugs, Angie
www.angelicagracedesigns.com/blog/
www.angelicagracedesigns.com
Thank You so much for the wonderful comment you left me last night I am so thankful for all my gal pals out there! My hubbie is doing well were taking it day by day, and doing alot of praying! I will keep you up dated on him, so once again thank you so very much. Your kids look so cute on there first day back to school, oh to be young again! no worries! Lanny :o)
That was me this morning. I hope you had a great time at the brunch...what a great idea...I think once my middle is in school...that might be easier...taking two young children would not be too much fun.
Tears came out of nowhere for me as well...kind of snuck up on me! We're a tough bunch, arent't we!
Post a Comment