Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Fantasy Football?!?

It was a very exciting weekend at our house...Sunday had been reserved on the calendar for a couple weeks now...not sure if some of your hubbies are into this or not, but we are on the verge of football season kicking off, which means the start of Fantasy Football!!!   Wes has played for a few years now...he drafts HIS ultimate team, then goes up against other teams week by week as the REAL NFL teams play...and depending how the player does in real life,  it gives the fantasy football team owner points.  Whoever makes it to the Super Bowl goes home with all the money that the team owners put in.  At least that's what I think happens.  My brother has a league that Wes has played in the last couple years, and Sunday was draft day.  You have never seen two men prepare for such an event with such time and attention to detail...quite funny!  

Our house was offered as the "draft house" and Wes wanted to prepare a feast that would get everybody going for the big selection process.  They shopped for all they needed Friday night, prepared the brisket for it's all night smoking & BBQ'n, made homemade pinto beans and German potatoes...it truly was a feast & looked & smelled amazing!!!  

What is it with men when they get around huge slabs of meat??
The league draft board...prepared over a several hour period, with lines carefully drawn, and team names printed in various fonts...WAY over the top!
Our house was testosterone central for about 6 hours...the kids and I did make ourselves scarce for a while and headed up to the pool, but I did grab a few shots before & after...this was taken towards the end after we returned.  Dead silence when you walked in the room...these guys were reading, jotting notes, studying printouts...it was hilarious to see their seriousness!
The board almost completed!  10 teams with all sorts of wild & crazy names...my hubby's???  The Big Woolies!!  My brother's...El Diablo Gatos!!  
Please tell me I'm not alone out there!
Our family room was rearranged with chairs brought in from the bedroom, the playroom, Wes' office...but I have to say, everyone was very nice & stayed afterwards to put it all back!  
We'd had enough shushing...so we headed to the pool!
Haley, my brother's longtime girlfriend, opted to sit poolside...
Sam had a blast wearing Aunt Lindsey out...and I just let him!
The draft was a success, the food was demolished, and by today, the house is pretty much back to its regular state of chaos...
Go Big Woolies!!!

10 comments:

Shanan Strange said...

Wow! That's a lot of work... I had no idea fantasy football took so much effort. I'm with you.. I would have headed to the pool too. Glad that they cleaned up their mess.

Honorary Indian said...

That is hilarious. ANimesh tried doing that one year, but it was too stressful and complicated for him. I guess given his line of work he's all about simplicity when he gets home.

I love how the guys were so "in" to it and how they prepared that great feast. Hope you got some samplings of the yummy food!

And, yes, the pool sounds much more appealing to me, too!

MamaMia said...

Thank God Carroll does not have time for this. I don't think I could handle it...I can barely handle Texas football and most recently added, The Titans because of former Longhorn Vince Young. If you'll remember, last year we switched our satellite company so that we could have the NFL Ticket package...the channel that has EVERY NFL game on. Ug!!

I love the big chart. I'm all about detailed organization and visuals. I also love when Wes plans a meal to go along with the activity--he's so much fun.

Maggie said...

ha ha that is awesome suz. gotta love texas. not many people are fans of football up here so i am a little alone in my thoughts. i miss you guys....11 days, but who is counting....

Haley said...

yeah.... that was all a bit extreme but the food was amazing! also side-note: This is the first time I have ever at out of the pool!!! ha ha ha... xoxoxo

carissa... brown eyed fox said...

MEN!!!!
i have to say i am impressed with their efforts! their organization! wow!

i would have headed for the pool too!

Jennifer Price said...

Suz- this actually makes me a feel a little better. I have been a football widow for several years, but kept Ronnie's fantasy football addiction in the closet. I cannot believe these grown men waste so much time on this stuff. Their draft day looks like it was a lot of fun with great food. We hosted a draft day at our house several years ago before I realized the seriousness of everything. Now, he and his buddies (all in the hotel business) fly to one location (usually Denver) and hold their draft in an empty ballroom with the audio visual department setting up projectors and the hotel restaurant bringing in food. Seriously. At least they get in a couple of rounds of golf and get the whole "guy's trip" over with in one weekend. I have never had a "girl's trip" and told him yesterday that I think the kids are old enough to leave for a day or two- I am way past due for a couple days of relaxation!

MamaMia said...

Hi Girlie. I'll be waiting for your lunch box ideas when you get back.

Have fun!

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

I have never even seen anything like that! Have you seen the movie "knocked up?" There is a part where she thinks her husband is cheating on her...and she bursts in on...a fantasy football planning meeting. He didn't want her to know what he'd been up to :-)

Kinda glad that is not going on at my house...

meg duerksen said...

i was going to say what Kat said. :)
that was so funny.

you are a good woman for letting that go on at your house!