Monday, September 8, 2008

To Everything... There Is A Season

An INCREDIBLE weekend was had at our home...we had absolutely NO obligations, no birthday parties, no workdays at either of the kid's schools...just quality family time doing things that needed to be done, but getting to do them on our own schedule!!  It was great!  We mowed, weeded the flower beds, cleaned out the garage, went to the grocery store for the week, attended Mass, feasted on some wonderful food---grilled steaks Saturday night & homemade meatballs & pasta Sunday(courtesy of Daddy) packed up the summer decor, and pulled out the Fall/Halloween storage box.  It is always so sad to say goodbye to one season & all the memories that it brought, but I love gearing up for the next by transforming the house with all the fun decorations that hold their own special times for our family.  I think I've mentioned once or twice, (ok, probably a few more than that) that I'm a theme girl...I do ALMOST everything by theme...I love planning parties around themes, decorating around themes,  I even have a "Summer" purse and a "Fall/Winter" purse, which I also switched out this weekend.  The kids were OH SO EXCITED to see a box of pumpkins outside in front of HEB, and I have to admit, I was too!  I know some people get bothered or upset by seeing stores have their holiday items out so early, but for me, it gets me all giddy knowing that another special time of year is coming & gives us great memories to look forward to...makes saying goodbye to summer all the more easier for me!  


The first thing I change out when the seasons turn...my front door wreath!  I love greeting visitors with a little special somethin' somethin'...


An aerial view of our Fall/Halloween storage box...when you open it up, it almost seems like just yesterday when you packed it away...Wow!  All the things that have happened in our lives since Halloween...INCREDIBLE!  


Ok, seriously...if we get one more plastic Jack-o-lantern, someone will need to hit me!!


The boys had a ball trying on WHATEVER they could find...pieces to old Halloween costumes, witch hats...they are very excited!!


And one of my FAVORITE pieces...this Department 56 Haunted Barn that we bought when Annie was just 1 year old...It has eerie screeching sounds & lights up and the kid's love it & hate it all at the same time...all 3 of them, when younger, would cry & cry when we put it on & walk ALLLLLL the way around it to get to the kitchen...but every year, it is the first thing that want to put out!  I'll have to snap a couple pics when we get it all set up!
Here's to Fall...and all the fun, special times it aims to bring us!  
Does your house show a change with the seasons??

6 comments:

MamaMia said...

I WISH my house changed for the seasons!! I guess things aren't fun for me unless Carroll gets into it. Unfortunately, he doesn't get into decorating (unless it involves mechanical devices like the Halloween props). :)

I do love when seasons change though, it's so exciting getting ready for something new.

carissa... brown eyed fox said...

i love weekends like that too...
also the fact that if you really WANT a nap... take a nap! :)

the change of season has not quite made it through our home yet. hmmmm... i need to do that!

Fall is my FAV time of year... LOVE it... treasure it!

your haunted barn... love that... traditions are what make it all so great!

thanks for the Fall inspiration!

Honorary Indian said...

OH! Another reason we're friends.

I always get the pumpkins out September 1st. Animesh always asks, "Isn't Halloween next month?" and I remind him (every year) that it's the FALL season.

In my mind, it's so much more fun to celebrate the season as long as we can.

That's why the Christmas decorations go up the day after Thanksgiving!!!!

And, the Valentine's decorations get put out the second week of January...

Well, at least YOU understand my logic!!!

XO!

meg duerksen said...

it's cold here!
i keep thinking the pumpkins will be out soon. the mums are at the store but no pumpkins yet.

we are having the stuffed shells tonight!
hope you enjoy your mexican chicken. that sounds yummy. i didn't want to listen to my kids whine so i made their favorite - the shells.

how cool that you get 6 hours alone now!
today i ran some errands, blogged adn then took a long hot hot bath. don't tell my husband. :)
i felt a little guilty but it was just so dreary outside and it was sooooooo relaxing.
so it's okay to just do that in you rdown time. don't feel like you need to pack in all your chores. in fact....don't do any chores if you don't want to. that's my advice.

have a great night!

Hipmomofboyz said...

Yea, it;s halloween,,,, I love decorating for the fall.....I am going to work on that today..

Anonymous said...

I love fall!! You've motivated me to get my fall deco out even though it is still hot here in H-Town. :)~Jill