Monday, December 8, 2008

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year!

It truly is the most wonderful time of the year...despite Duran Duran cancelling on me!  I love the excitement in the air, the colors, the sounds, the decorations, and the traditions!  We have several, as I'm sure all of you do, and I love how every family does different things that kind of speak to them and who they are...very special!  Saturday evening, we took Annie out to eat & to the Nutcracker...as per OUR tradition with her since she was 3.  It's a time with just mama & daddy without baby brothers tagging along.  They had their own special evening, thanks to Maggie, our niece and lately our resident babysitter, as she took them to a Christmas parade in Boerne.  It was a win-win for everyone!  She promises to get pictures to me soon...my only stipulation of Jack and Sam going with her...I need to SEE the memories made!  

Our usual favorite spot to take Annie to, the Gunter Hotel, was not offering their usual holiday fare, so we ventured out to our vacation spot, the Hyatt Hill Country, and enjoyed their delicious food!  I think we all agreed, we have found a new place to go.  The Hyatt was decked out like no other...lights lining the streets and sidewalks, themed Christmas trees throughout the lobby, and an INCREDIBLE gingerbread creation that would probably take up our entire family room.  It was an added bonus to going there for sure!

The Nutcracker was beautiful and it was even better this year with the San Antonio Symphony accompanying the production.  You just can't beat live music!  Annie said she was ready to go again next year, so it looks like the night was a success!

We've had our tree up for a week now, and Wes and the kids helped get the house all decorated the weekend after Thanksgiving.  It's so fun to watch them as the first boxes come out of the attic and are opened.  All the memories surrounding these special mementos come flooding out and make me smile and my heart swell with love when I see them.  
Here is our finished result from this year...
Some of my favorites that I tend to forget about during the year but love so much when we pull them out...our faux leopard trimmed tree skirt!  An awesome find at Hobby Lobby a few years back.
Our Nativity in its special place of honor...
One of a kind precious, treasured keepsakes...I can't wait to add Sam's to the mix now that he's in preschool.



Our Mickey Mouse glass ball from our DisneyWorld vacation summer of 2004.
This Christmas crab from our Gulf Shores, Alabama vacation last year...
I always forget about these glass dice that Wes and I purchased on our Las Vegas getaway in 2003, but love them so much!
A beach buggy ornament from our trip to San Diego/Coronado Beach in 2006...
An ornament that we got ourselves to mark our first Christmas as a married couple...
We found this Christopher Radko "Braveheart" ornament the Christmas after 9-11, and it takes me back every time I unpack it as to how we all were so proud to be an American...
We bought these Hallmark Wizard of Oz ornaments the year after we dressed as all those characters for Halloween 3 years ago...such fun memories!
This Mickey Mouse Santa came home with us when we were on our honeymoon at Disney World 13 years ago the end of this month!!
We love our SPURS!!!  And have a Championship trophy ornament that we got at one of the games we went to, to remember how excited the city and ALL of us were to win big!
Wes likes Star Wars as much as the next guy, and isn't a huge crazy fanatic, but this ornament is a favorite of the kids because Darth Vader speaks every time you turn the tree on, because he is plugged into the lights...it's amazing he still works after all the times the kids have turned it off/on just to listen over the years...
Can you tell I'm a former Kindergarten teacher???  I love, love, love children's books and have a designated "seasonal" book basket in the family room.  At Christmas time, we have a hard time fitting them all in, but it sure makes reading fun at bedtime because we have soooo many to choose from!
This wooden sign is hung on our bench in the entryway because I just love the message...
Christmas dishes make eating any meal that much more fun, especially in the mornings at breakfast.  I got these years ago at Target...they are just a hard plastic, but have held up great!
Years ago we started collecting Department 56 Snow Village pieces, much like my parents and one of my aunt & uncles...we have 11 pieces that we put in various rooms of the house, including the kid's rooms, but this one has always been my favorite because of the nostalgic looking diner.
This house & decorated yard display are in our playroom...Wes says it reminds him of the Grizwald's and National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation...
It's so wonderful when you have keepsakes that speak volumes without them saying a word.  I think that's what makes this time of year even better, when you can recall a memory just by opening a box or listening to a song.
What special decorations make your heart smile when you get them out every year???  

Wishing you a season of priceless memories with your family & friends...

12 comments:

carissa... brown eyed fox said...

girl... yall are READY!!!!

love all your fun keepsakes... AND that you remember EACH & EVERY one of them... VERY neat!

i am happy to say we have our tree... just needs it's bling... soon to come!

loads of big hugs to you!

Rachel www.jackandcoledesigns.com said...

Awe..I love all of your Christmas decor. My favorite is the Santa sign that says, "I believe."

You did a fantastic job with all the decor!

I'm "borrowing" a tradition from you if you don't mind--the Christmas plates! My kiddos would love those!

I'm glad you liked the booties.. they are so cute.
Oh, off the subject but serious question for you and whoever else wants to give me great advice. My husband and I are considering adding baby 3#..but wanted some advice on that. Since you have 3, do you think it would be a good or bad thing to have mine close together? How close in age are yours? My boys are 16 months apart and white it was hard, I love that they are so close! We were talking about waiting until early-mid 2009 to start trying. That would put my oldest (when baby #3 is born) at 3 1/2 and my youngest at a little over 2 years.

Should I wait until we have more money to expand our family? The way I see it is--I'll never have enough money for children anyway!! ;)

Sorry for the long post.

Amy said...

Winter wonderland indeed! How much fun! I love all your stories behind the ornaments...we've got some this year...

We're taking our daughter to the Nutcracker this year for the first time. This will be the first time I ever see it as well...mommy and daddy are taking her. it's so special and I can't wait to continue this tradition!!

carissa... brown eyed fox said...

you are Be-Bopping AMAZING!

how FUN... thank you SO much!

Shanan Strange said...

Ooo Ooo Ooo.. I love the leopard tree skirt! Your tree looks beautiful. I will have to go out to the Hyatt. We stay a week there every summer and just have the best time.

Thanks for sharing your ornaments with us. I'm hoping to get our tree up tonight, but it's not looking too promising.. :(

Haley said...

what a post! ha ha... love it. you and your siblings are so crazy about Christmas!!! dont get me wrong, that is a great thing. Sometimes I think your brother-- aka my bf --takes it to the extreme. gotta love him. I cannot wait to make my way over to the holland home and see everything myself. xoxoxo

Angie Seaman said...

Oh girl. The tree looks great. Love the ornaments and the tree skirt has my name written all over it. FANTABULOUS! Love, love, love it all.

Hope all is well with you and yours. I miss your smiling face and cheery notes on my blog.

Blessings, Angie
www.angelicagracedesigns.com/blog/
www.angieseamanphotography.com/blog/

Hipmomofboyz said...

I'm back....I have missed you guys. I love your Christmas tree and the leopard tree skirt.

Rachel www.jackandcoledesigns.com said...

Thanks so much for your advice on kiddos.. I'm super excited that you want to have another baby..I've always wanted four! But, since I have to have c-sections, they say that I can't have more than three. It's kind of weird to hear someone else tell you how many children you can have. I don't like it at all..

Rachel www.jackandcoledesigns.com said...

Yay! HipMom is back!

MamaMia said...

What wonderful memories!

I love all the stories to go with the ornaments...so special.

Great picture of you guys at the Nutcracker...who took the picture? Nick? Ha, ha. Always love to see you in one.

DD said...

I love people who actually have MEANING behind their christmas ornaments. All of ours have some sort of story and I love telling those stories to the kids as we fix the tree. Lovin it.