Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Breaking Up...

What is it with us girls and our hair???  Or is it just me?  When we have a bad hair day, it can TOTALLY ruin our moods & when it's a good hair day, we usually have NO WHERE  to go so we can actually show it off!  I'm a very no nonsense girl when it comes to my hair, makeup, the way I dress...the simpler the better!  I've never been one who used a curling iron(I always would fry the ends) or used any special products to get my hair to do what I wanted it to.  So I've always relied on my hair dressers to give me a good cut, then teach me how to fix it, because if I can't do it in 10-15 minutes or less, FORGET IT...especially these days with 3 kids!  My hair usually takes last place when it comes to our morning routine, so I need it to be simple.  

Ever since we moved here, and I found "the" stylist, who I trusted to cut & color my hair, 12 years ago, I followed her everywhere she went.  She moved around to 3 other places since I've known her, but I always trusted the way she did my hair.  12 years ago, I was still teaching, I was a newlywed, we lived in an apartment, and fast forward to 2008, and ALLLLL the changes that have come in my life...you can see we've been through a lot & I've gotten to know her & her family as well.  But the last few times I've gone to "my girl" it seems like she has done just the opposite of what I wanted.  My hair has still looked fine enough...I even have gotten compliments during those times, but it just hasn't been the look I wanted NOR what I asked for.  What to do???  What to do???  What would you do, or what have you done??  

Well, my sister and I have both gone to "my girl"for quite some time and after she was unhappy with her as well, she decided to branch out and go to Haley's hair stylist, whom she LOVES and has been bragging to us about for quite some time.  So I told Lindsey, you go first!  Both of us, deathly afraid that we'll somehow run into "our girl" and she'll be able to tell someone else has touched our hair:)
My sister has NEVER been afraid of exerting herself & for being bold, so she made the switch and LOVED her new hair and has even gone to her twice now!  I felt so envious that I made the call and had my first appointment with the "new" girl too and I love, love, love my hair!  I haven't walked out of a haircut feeling this great in a looooong time!  The last time I had a haircut was early July, and she cut it soooo short, that it has taken this long to grow out for me to even NEED a trim, and that was after I told her I did not want it short!  

Soooo...it looks like I've found a NEW hair stylist & I'm very excited!  No one here to take a picture of it for me to show you, so you'll have to just imagine me with a big smile!!

But, the sensitive part of me still wonders what I should do????  Do I call my old girl?  What do I say??  Has this ever happened to you??  Breaking up with a hair stylist after so many years sure is a hard thing to do!!!  

13 comments:

HiHoOhio said...

Mike's Hard Pomegranate Lemonade What is it and where do I get it????? (from Jennifer's Monday comment????)

Hipmomofboyz said...

I know it is hard to break up with you hairdresser. I just started to go to a new gal and have been with her for about 3 months. I just never called the old girl, but she is so busy that I doubt she even noticed that I have not been there,

DD said...

Oh BIG hugs! I'm not not reading you I promise. I'm just OVER MY HEAD. I'm about to go post about it. Thanks so much for being a faithful commenter. It means a lot to me.

Haley said...

yipeeeee!!!!! its about time you listened to me :) can't wait to see your new do. xoxoxo
ps... my blog has KINA started! check it out

MamaMia said...

Doh! Too bad I didn't have my camera earlier today so I could snap a shot of the awesome new cut. Love it!

If it were me, I'd probably hide for the rest of my life for fear of hurting her feelings. :) Otherwise, what would you say to her??

I've been with my group of stylists for 25 years. The first guy in this group died a week before my bridal portrait!! Do you remember that ordeal? I tried to make arrangements with Jody B.'s brother and he stood me up! Thank God my current stylist in this group helped me out. And I have followed them everywhere too.

You'll need to post a picture soon so everyone can see.

carissa... brown eyed fox said...

well i'm supper happy you are loving your hair... that IS one of the best feelings... you're so right!
but... hello... want to see the cuteness! :)

i would say... don't call the "old gal"... it happens... won't be the first time it has happened to her... i think stylist expect it to some degree... right?
this has happened to me before... the guilt was horrible... but it gets easier... plus your looking GOOD! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm a hairdresser breakup wimp. I just drop out of sight and never call again. So glad you're loving your hair. That is a wonderful feeling. I go next week. Can't wait!!

THE Stephanie said...

Oh I feel your pain. When my stylist moved to New York for a year and a half it was the WORST hair time of my life!! Thank goodness she's back! My hair has never been better!!!

Jennifer Price said...

It sounds like everyone but me has a special stylist. I am in desperate need of a new hairstyle and have no idea where I should go here in the OC... You have to take pictures soon- your hair always looks great, so I can't imagine what it looks like different.

Honorary Indian said...

Oh, girl, I broke up with my stylist of 9 years. Did it this summer, and I've never turned back.

The horrible thing is...my old stylist NEVER. EVEN. CALLED. ME. In the past he had told me stories about how he had phoned former clients to find out why they hadn't been in to see him.

But, he never called me. Hmmm. Something to ponder.

Anyway, I have been seeing Tonie and have never looked back. She's the one who chopped it all off and repaired it to a healthy state. She's fast, less expensive, and a joy to talk with. She's a mom of two boys, too, so she "gets" my life.

Change is GOOD!!!!!!

carissa... brown eyed fox said...

darn... i thought i was going to see your cute face & new hair do!

happy weekend to you! big HUGS!

carissa... brown eyed fox said...

hey there my friend!
fyi
your name was picked...
you won a "handy"!

thanks soooo much for your comment & for always being so great... you're a gift! :)

would you please email me your address...
thebrowneyedfox@hotmail.com

Shanan Strange said...

Do tell us who it is! I'm sick of going all the way into SA for my haircuts. Please say it is someone in Boerne? Is that wishful thinking??