Wednesday, September 24, 2008

CALLING ALL MOMS!! PLEASE READ...

Love her or not, Republican, Democrat or Independent...you can't help but watch Oprah!  I record her daily, but usually don't get around to watching them till some evenings or weekends.  Yesterday afternoon, while Sam was napping, I finally watched the show she had on last week about Internet Predators on Children.  It was sickening...at times unbearable to listen to, but what I MOST APPRECIATED was information on SOMETHING we can do!!!  

There is a bill, called the Protect our Children act Senate Bill 1738 that a group of law enforcement agencies, parents, and those wanting a change are trying to get passed before Congress adjourns for vacation September 26...that is 3 days from now!!  

Please, please, PLEASE go to Oprah.com and read the information regarding what this bill is about & what the funding would go towards.  It has SUCH SIMPLE STEPS to take & links to take you immediately to YOUR personal Congressional leaders & their information to e-mail, call or write them to pass this bill!!  There is even a sample letter to "copy" if you don't have time to come up with a letter yourself...they made it so, so easy to do 
BUT YOU MUST ACT TODAY!!  CONGRESS ADJOURNS IN 3 DAYS & WE WANT TO GET THIS THROUGH NOW!!  It is a bipartisan bill...so it is not affiliated with any candidate or any party, just people who want to put a stop to this horrible exploitation of children.

PROTECT Our Children Act
Due to the lack of resources, law enforcement is unable to follow up on the majority of leads they have.

Senate Bill 1738 The Protect Our Children Act will:
* Authorize over $320 million over the next 5 years in desperately needed funding for law enforcement to investigate child exploitation.
*Mandate that child rescues be a top priority for law enforcement receiving federal funding
*Allocate funds for high-tech computer software that can track down internet predators

We all know from blogging that the internet CAN be a wonderful thing, let's put an end to those who use it to harm others.  Go to Oprah.com & be taken to your Congressional leaders links NOW!!

5 comments:

Shanan Strange said...

Thanks for the information. I will click on over to Oprah.com right now. I've gotten where I hate her show now due to her pushing her political agenda on the air.. but this is important. I might go on line and see if I can watch the episode you are talking about.

Angie Seaman said...

Oh girl. How can I see this episode of Oprah. You aren't the only person talking about it. Several other bloggers mentioned it too. I missed the airing of that show but would love to watch it. What day was it on last week?
Thanks girl!
Angie

DD said...

I actually cannot STAND Oprah and its not b/c of her politics its b/c her complete and total distortion of THE faith on national airways and confusing 10,000's of would-be Christians trying to walk out the Truth.

I actually do a sample speech on child exploitation and the people who are honestly fighting this fight hardest is the national center for missing & exploited children. Their website is www.missingkids.com if you'd like to go and learn more.

I'm always weary of getting the government involved in anything b/c their track record is FAR from proven. While they do have the ability to release money there is no telling how many pork additions have been tagged on to that bill b/c everyone knows you'd have to be a total thug to not vote for it based on principle alone. So I'd be weary on advocating for it too hard, especially with Oprah pushing it. Thats just my personal opinion. I'd rather donate to the private sector as much as possible and let them do things like putting awareness programs in place.

The government instituted in-classroom drug awareness and the amount of people who use drugs recreationally is at an all time high. Similarly in-classroom sex education has yielded similar results.

In addition I'm not sure I want my 1st grader taught about all the parts of the body and how sex works. He only needs to know about stranger danger and what kinds of touching is inappropriate. I can get that from me reinforcing in my house and having my child watch "The SAFE Side" (www.thesafeside.com) and "The SAFE Side Internet".

Hipmomofboyz said...

Thanks for the info...I have to agree with allmykids123, I too have gotten where I can't stand to watch Oprah. All she does is push her agenda down our throats, I will click on her site and see if I can watch the show you are talking about...Thanks for the info

carissa... brown eyed fox said...

gosh... i too have gotten away from watching her... she puts her slant on everything... as i suppose she can.
but... this bill... our children... thanks for the heads up... i'll head over there!